I don't know why I've procrastinated to tell about my first Disney World experience! I only went a few weeks ago and it's already time to go back. This place truly brings out the kid in everyone...well, ok atleast it did for me! Anyways, Chris and Lisa (who are truly the bomb and RockBand Superstars), two friends that Kent and I met in Orlando this past fall helped us out during our trip since Lisa works for Disney. Not only did she help us get in the park but also told us her favorite spots of the parks and the do's and don'ts on where to spend our time. With Kent as our leader, David (Kent's dad), Rhonda (his mom), Aaron (older brother), Ariana (younger sister), and I marched along behind him making his job as tour guide quite a task with us saying we didn't care what rides we did or shows we watched and then chiming with suggestions. (Hats off to Aaron, I think his one request in 3 days of touring castles and visiting petting zoos was to shoot at targets at a western themed place). Our first day was spent at Animal Kingdom which I thoroughly enjoyed. The most impressive event of the day was taking the safari where we saw giraffes, lions, other weird animals and a tree that looks like it was upside down. We all piled into this hummer type vehicle and rode through the mud and water for about 25 minutes. One of the best things about Disney World is that the shows and little movies and stuff to watch are usually no longer than 35 minutes. I don't remember one thing being "boring" or too long. (*I don't like to use the word boring often...I've heard it said that being bored is a sin and I halfway agree*). Animal Kingdom was great, but where was Belle? Mickey? Pixie dust and magic wands? and that big castle I saw in the background of a parade on New Year's Day??? Magic Kingdom, here we come! The next day proved to my favorite and the favorite for most of us. I can not begin to describe the detail and how remarkable the setting of these parks, and particularly Magic Kingdom, proved to be. Everything comes to life and I began to feel that I was in a truly magical element. Music and musicals, Disney characters, trolleys, stores, shows, rides, games, turkey legs, and exhausted children being pushed in way too big strollers were what we experienced most of the day, just repeated a few times. When we first arrived at Magic Kingdom, made our way along the brick sidewalk and got by the Mary Poppins dancers in the street we watched a show at the castle. At the end I realized how much I was loving this whole Disney World experience and buying into their slogan, "Where all your dreams come true." I forget which princess it was during the show but she told us to close our eyes and make a wish. I was so excited and enthralled at the spectacular dancers and the production all over Magic Kingdom that I couldn't decide one a wish! I'm sure someone is reading this and rolling their eyes, but even though I'm 22 (and a 1/2) it was still my first time and I was loving it. We were all so tired that after several hours at the park we went to our hotel for naps, but of course Kent and I went back for the last hour and a half to ride the teacups two more times, go through the Winnie the Pooh ride (he's my fav) and watch the fireworks. So fun! ("It's a small world" was sooo cute!) The last day was Hollywood Studios, yet again totally cool. Fortunately Aaron (or maybe unfornatley for him) was beside me for the Tower of Terror and another roller coaster. My personal favorite part of this park was the Beauty and the Beast show. The actors do such a great job! I could watch it again and again. This is my favorite Disney movie and plus Kent has added "Belle" to my first name so it's one more reason to love it.
Let me back up a little and say that through these three exhaustingly long days, Rhonda had a marathon on her mind! This would be her 12th! I'll "Whoop!" to that! On Sunday, she and Kent got up at 4:00 to catch a bus that took them to Epcot to start the race. Kent had planned to run a few miles with her...well, that didn't really happen. Being the highly competitive and super athletic man that he is, he started to run this marathon on a whim, in the wee hours of the morning, unprepared, cell phone in hand, and his shoes...oh his shoes...(later that afternoon when I saw him he said, "Hey check this out," and he peeled over the sole of his shoe so that it seemed like a big flipper.) Obviously it didn't bother him that much b/c he stayed with the fastest group for the first 13 miles and made his best time for a half marathon! His plan was to stop then and meet up with us to watch his mom, but he decided to keep on running. And run he did! He finished the marathon, yes 26.2 miles, without 1.) training for it, and 2.) knowing he was even going to do it! All I can do is shake my head and pray that our kids get his athletic genes someday. :) :) :) Rhonda was a champ and finshed the marathon as well and it was so fun to hear her and Kent talk about everything they got to see throughout the race! The energy watching that thing made Aaron and I think we wanted to run one, but we decided to start with one of Ariana's races first. Oh yeah, last thing, so Kent was calling me on his phone throughout this race. (I wonder what other runners were thinking?!) I was literally in bed when he called me at like mile 13. The four of us got ready quick when he called back to tell us where we could watch Rhonda. Once we got there I felt incredibly bad that I had missed Kent and would not be able to see him. Here is the guy that painted his chest for numerous matches of mine and was always loud and proud to support me. I couldn't go stand on the sideline and just yell and be there for him? Get in the game, Sarah, wake up! Well, I asked a random, and I mean random "family" (I'm still confused) for a ride to the finish line. I thanked them kindly and ran to the finish line area hoping to catch him. Being a lady, I could nuzzle my way in front of the men without them complaining. I mean hey, I'll never see them again, and I'd rather die than be this close and not see him finish! I turned around once and saw this man shorter than me trying to look over my head! I felt bad so I awkwardly smiled, said sorry, and halfway squatted...yeah awkward. Crescendo: after waiting for about 20 minutes I see Kent fully focused coming around the curve for the last couple hundred yards! I tried to get my camera out in time to take a picture, I wanted to yell for him, I wanted him to hear me, I was so overwhelmed! Well, after screaming my head off as he went by I slithered out of that awkward mess of angry strangers. He called me soon after and I told him that I saw him and was right by him towards the end. He didn't hear me this time, but I have some ideas for the next ones. In the past when I have told him I want to watch him race, he always says something like, "They're not fun to watch...all you do is see me go by..." Well, of course! I had an absolute blast being there for both of them and I hope they're as excited about the next one as I am :) haha
Well, what started out as a simple summary of my few magical days of Disney has proven to be a little longer and more drawn out than planned. Oh well, I hope you got a glimpse of what it is like if you haven't gotten to go, and if you ever want someone to go with then you know who to call!
"And they lived happily ever after."
The End,
Sarah Belle
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
1. i'm sure you fit right in, since you are already a princess. :)
2. kent is a STUD. who seriously runs a marathon without preparing?
3. you are such a good gf to put your life at risk by talking to "strangers" to get to the end of the race. kudos to you.
4. way to go rhonda!!! i have never been in as good of shape as you and i'm 2 months removed from collegiate soccer.
5. loved the post girl. can't wait to hear what sort of shenanigans you get yourself in to in europe!
LOVE YOU!
What a disney vacation that was. She exaggerated a little on the shoes. They weren't in that bad of shape. Thanks for cheering me on Belle. I'll look for you next finish line.
Wow, we feel famous that we actually made it to your blog! Glad you had a good time! You rock on the guitar, and Killer Kent ain't that bad on the vocals (even after he ran a marathon).
Chris & Lisa
Post a Comment