Howdy...please excuse grammatical errors
After not having internet access for 3 days it is good to be reconnected with the world via emails, gchats and of course, the blog. I won a tourney yesterday in Libourne. Afterwards we had another 2.5 hr meal of odd pork brain looking meat for starters which I did not try even though I usually try everything once. Along with that were baguettes that just sit on the tables and everyone grabs chunks of bread...Then 30 min later came meat and potatoes...sausage and huge bacon slab looking things that were very fatty and not really great... 30 min later came cheese which I had the day before but not last night...30 min later came dessert of ice cream cones which I loved!!!!! Then most pople smoke. I did not partake. Everyone had wine all night... Tournaments here are a big club social... They last for one month although i am only there for a day or so...so, for the last 15 days bout 30 club members have eaten together !!! Lunch and dinner but only bout 5 come to lunch... I seriously is so different. It is such a relaxed atmosphere and they are like family to one another.
The family I am staying with have a vineyard and this week they bottled all their wine:::bout 120,000 bottles I think. I got a lot of the process on film. The husbqnd and father here is the fourth generation of his family line to do it. HOW COOL!!! I actually do not paricularly care for wine; but it is not an option here even though i still get goosebumps with almost every sip. It really is hard for me to swallow but I do and just say "Oui, oui" when they look for my reaction. I have also tried 3 cheeses and have had to forget about the mold that surrounds it and try toavoid it on my plate. Yikes. Other than scraping the mold off, the cheese is very very good. till tryin to get used to all the white bread. The long baguettes are so funny and I feel so French when i eat them.
This is a beautiful place in the country and a place i have never seen before. Bout 15 min away is a town of buildings and a church that is so old it is a joke. A man who took me said, "this dates back to the Romans and after the Roman empire fell monks lived here." Little restaurants are stuck in tiny spots and of course there are tons of places to buy wine.
I actually won some wine but do not know how to get it back since it is illegal. I may have to pay for an extra bag to check since it is also illegal to carry it on. Anyone wanna help with advice? I am flying with US Airways and recenty someone told me they allow an extra bag for sports people. ???
This is by far the nicest and prettiest place I have been to. Tourney num 4 finishes on sunday in Perigueux then the next one finishes Wed. Hopefully I can get in 5 more by June 30th!!! I love it here, well I mean I really like it...but I can not wait to get home!!!!
Love
Sarah
Thursday, June 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That stuff about the cheese was so funny! Ohhhh, I'm so jealous of all your experiences right now :-) Love you lady!
Sarah, check with your hosts and see if you can't mail the wine back to yourself. That's what I did the last time I was there and that was 2000. Wrap the bottles in a towel (1 each per towel obviously) and pack the open space of the box with shreds or crumpled sheets of newspaper. The postage beats the tariff you have to pay.
Russell
Yes, pack and ship as much wine as you can. Spread it around when you get home. We'll have a Sarah party with your French wine!
Post a Comment