Wednesday, June 18, 2008

So, what are you actually doing in France anyway?

People that I keep in touch with know I have been in Germany for 5 weeks and now France for about 2 weeks.  Only 12 days remaining of my 9 week journey!!!  This should sum up what my purpose was in coming to Europe.
-After getting chewed up and spat out in Portugal this past Feb., I only played 4 matches in the course of 4 weeks.  I decided I actually want to play as opposed to travel far distances without a guarantee of matches.  Of course, if I had won I would have gotten more matches but I thought I should take a different route for a while to play more.
-Many people thought it was a good idea for me to come to Europe and play in their leagues.  This is pretty much playing tournaments that different clubs sponsor with players mostly from France and some international.  The tournament lasts an entire month but since it is like a feed in draw, I come into the tournament in the quarterfinals or so...sometimes only the finals depending on the level of the tourney.
-How is this possible?  I do not have an actual ranking yet, as I am new to the system.  But I have an assumed ranking which lets the tournament directors know where I stand.  I actually have an agent who is French and I have never met him.  I got his contact info. through a friend of Anna Lubinsky who worked with him a few years ago.  Anyway, we communicate by cell phone and he tells me which city to travel to and which train to take.  There is someone at the train station to pick me up and take me to the courts.  
-Ok, the original plan was for me to spend 2 months in France.  Yikes, glad I scaled it back to one!!! It can get a litte lonely by myself.  After meeting a nice girl in Portugal, she asked me to play for her club team in Hamburg, Germany which is where I was last month.  That was an AWESOME experience and I really do love Germany.  The people were great and the bread was superb, too. Haha
-I took a train from Hamburg to Paris and now the goal became for me to play 10 tournaments from June 5th to June 30th.  It is June 18th today and I play the finals of tournament number 5;  Tomorrow I travel and play number 6 on Fri and Sat.  Then an overnight train on Sat. night and play another one on Sun!!!  This will put me at playing touneys 8 through 10 from Monday til Sunday.  Whew! I am already tired thinking about it!!!
-Why ten tournaments???  I want to have the option to play for a French club next May.  Some clubs house you and you play 5 matches for them every weekend for 5 weeks and you get paid.  Then during the week I can play more tournaments like this.  If I were a European citizen I would not have to play the 10 tournaments...  But I am not, so I am.  (I like that sentence)
-I am not totally sure if I will play for a club next year but I want to have an option.  Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there is prize money involved which has been great!  It pays for my travel expenses (food, train, hotels somtimes) and I have some leftover!
-When I get back to the U.S., I will be playing a few tourneys in July, maybe one is September, then hopefully 2 in October.  

When I think back before I came here I sort of can not believe I came over here alone for over 2 months.  I am glad I did though.  When will I ever get to spend this much time overseas again?  Talk about an experience...I learn so much everyday.  Example: Yesterday at my first match I played a local girl.  When we met I sorta stumbled though saying that my name is Sarah in French.  She told me hers, then we did the little kiss cheeck, kiss other cheek thing.  This still just cracks me up and I feel so silly when I do it.  Anyway, she went in for a third cheek kiss and I stopped at two.  She was sorta taken back and immediately said ¨Pardon.¨ I, of course, tried to smooth over the awkwardness but saying I am foreign and do not know the proper etiquette.  After the match when we shook hands, she did it again and I forgot AGAIN!!! Idiot!!!  Then the tournament director whose house I am staying in told me (thankfully!) that in south France they do 3 kisses.  Well thanks for letting me know!!!!  haha  She said in Paris they do 4 which must just take so much time.  

Au revoir!!! Kiss cheek, kiss cheeck, kiss cheek!!!!!

4 comments:

EJ Chang said...

Don't worry, I won't kiss you when I see you. But I bet Kent will.

Rhonda Gray said...

Kent probably won't be kissing the cheeks, though. I would go crazy with all that kissing. Thanks for all the info. Very interesting. and Congratulations on all the winning!! Way to go!!

Anonymous said...

Way far and away the most entertaining blog entry yet. And although all have been informative this too is the best yet information wise. Sounds and reads like you're doing great both on the courts and on the keyboard. As one fan, thank you for sharing your plan of attack and philosophy. Here's the thing though you've given your adoring public a wonderful insight on your travels and adventures, now let's see some Fossy action on this side of the pond. If you get close to home some I'll bet will show up and be right behind you. In the meantime keep kicking that French hinny and make yourself irreplaceable for next year.
Russell

Kent Gray said...

Well written Sarah Belle. I really enjoyed this blog as did the other 3 who posted comments.

I for one look forward to the day I get to practice this French culture you're bringing home with you. I vote for the Paris tradition of 4 kisses over South France's tradition. 3 is far too few.

Merry says she loves you and wants you to keep going at with all you got just the way you're doing now.

Te amo chica